Editing the Main Page
If you would like to improve the main page please use Main Page/Sandbox to try your changes and leave a message on a sysop's talk page when it's ready for review (unless the sandbox is in use.. creating a sandbox under your username works fine also if you don't want your stuff messed with as much)
--TheOtherRob 05:48, 29 December 2009 (UTC)
- "on a sysop's talk page" how to find what the sysops are and which sysop to choose? --MarcusWolschon 05:03, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
I would take out the space used for Darwin, as Darwin is not the current stable machine, and it can confuse new users. I would place there instead a feed aggregation for new objects on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/rss/newest -- Thingiverse is also a great show room for the pieces designed and printed :-) -- Casainho
- OK, I edited the Main Page/Sandbox proposal so it no longer mentions Darwin, and instead mentions more relevant things. Feel free to make further improvements. --DavidCary 02:47, 11 December 2010 (UTC)
I think there needs to be some sort of general 'getting started' or 'RepRap Basics' link on the navigation menu. I keep finding stuff in the forums or blogs that i don't have any obvious place to put. This new category would be a place for all the non-machine-specific info, like the glossary, an introduction to 3d modeling and printing, and general techniques and tips like how to solder or how to use a lathe. --Buback
- Could you tag pages like Glossary with category:reference? --DavidCary 02:47, 11 December 2010 (UTC)
OMG! You guys are SIMPLY AWESOME!! So glad the gentlemen posted info about the RepRap on CAD-CAM-EDM-DRO list I can refer to. Great project for me and now "I'm gonna dive in Head-First!" LOL! BUT, I write because I need a FAQ where to Go First as a beginner. I can fabricate in my tiny machineshop Some parts but I want to minimize my build-time because I'm spoiled.. :) Firstly: I just need some direction if someone could take some time to email me some links or reply here and I will check back later in a few hours. 10-18-11 @ 0945pct. Thanks!! Vince
IS RepRap still alive?
I think it is too much 8 RepRap models on main page. Whyare there a Makegear prusa with no Link! It is stupid! I think 4 models are ok, 4 NON-COMERCIAL models like: Darwin, Mendel & Prusa, Wallace, Huxley. Nothing more. And in my opinion it si good to put there a link to family tree. Or to make a page with pluses and minuses of models (Price, work-area, precision, ...) --Qantip 15:16, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
I agree with Qantip, this should be more structured. Things like the Original Mendel, and the Printrbot variants shoudn't be on here. Would it be better to have the 3 main types, with Darwin at the top and then Mendel and Printrbot coming off it. Then when you choose one of those then you get all the variants, ie I click Mendel then I see all the variants like the Max and the Huxley, perhaps with a small sales pitch next to each one. --TheBaron88 15:37, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
- Remove redundant "How To xxx <name>" with "xxx", like "How to get Prusa" -> "Get/Obtain", and add some rating:
- Prusa: (links overview)
- Parts: ****-- (200 items)
- RepRapFactor: *****- (1.53)
- Complexity: ****--
- Precision: ****-- (0.1mm material / 0.02mm position)
- Print Size: *****- (20cm x 20cm x 18cm)
- Price: **---- (USD 500)
- Prusa: (links overview)
Ratings: AmountOfParts, RepRapFactor (amount of parts printable vs non-printable based on volume/weight), ComplexityToBuild, SizeOfPrintSpace, Price or something like this, it permits people to quickly judge which reprap to research more indepth, and please make a prominent link to an overview of ALL RepRaps on the frontpage ... --Rene K. Mueller 15:48, July 20, 2012
- reorder the 4 printer models by time. This order is confusing people to think that somehow huksley is newer then darwin but older then Mendel and Prusa Mendel and that Prusa Mendel is older then Mendel.
- add a second row below the printers, in the same style (with exemplary photo) showing the 4 most important categories. Feel free to name the rightmost one "more" and link to the list of design-categories. (Do NOT use the list of all wiki-categories a that also contains lots of categories that are not for printable things.)
- bring at least the main_pages of the other languages up to the same revision as the english one. That's confusing and more people out there are not native english speakers then are and would thus prefer one of the other pages to the english main page, expecting to find exactly the same information and structure there.
--MarcusWolschon 05:09, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
- Want to do up Main_Page_With_Suggestions_by_MarcusWolschon?
- --Sebastien Bailard 06:09, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
- I don't understand your grammar and have no time left to help this project. --MarcusWolschon 06:24, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
When you click the image of a 3d printer listed below you´ll get to the image page (instead of the main page of that printer). I think it would be nice if that can be changed. --Lemio 20:48, 2 September 2011 (UTC)Feel Free to use the icon I created for a Mycroft-search-plugin, for tabs and so on as its background have transparency.
--Danielpublic 14:45, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
RepRap should add a pages of all their version released to the market so far. As far I know there is only four I found, but with 100 different varients. --oklok 14:45, 1 June 2014 (UTC)
HTML Video and Free Software
I guess, we all love Free/Open Source. And that's probably one reason why we are reading this! Unfortunately the embedded vimeo videos do not play on Debian Stable "Squeeze". And maybe also not on the latest Ubuntu. This forces the us to install the closed-source Adobe Flash-Player if we want to see the videos. But the End-User-Licence-Aggreement of the Adobe Flash-Player is something many of us would not want to sign! (Did you ever read the 8 pages of small print? It's nasty, what they ask us to agree to!)
Let's find a way to serve these videos in a way, so that they can be played on Free/Open-Source software! Especially, they should work on standard software like the VLC-plugin or Gnash on Ubuntu or Debian GNU/Linux?
I could also help to convert/migrate the videos. Cheers, Zeptomoon 09:13, 13 June 2012 (UTC)
Surely it's time for a refresh? Majorly incorrect and out of date information
I just watched the video through again and its insanely out of date. Surely it could be re-edited with a new voice over, and previews of the other models, as according to the video the 'second version' of the reprap is currently being developed. It looks terrible when you come from something like a news article to a page with inaccurate stale information. --Rmwebs (talk) 04:14, 15 November 2013 (PST)
- You are the team, oklok. This is a community, which means, everybody can contribute. --Traumflug (talk) 03:31, 29 June 2014 (PDT)
"Darwin", released in March 2007 "Mendel", released in October 2009 "Prusa Mendel" and "Huxley" released in 2010
The pie chart caption links to a very interesting article which imho is really worth reading, even though it dates back to May 2012: Manufacturing in motion: first survey on 3D printing community by Jarkko Moilanen & Tere Vadén