video on youtube: pdC9KxD-kWQ (sorry links are blocked)
The Mowi Printer is a foldable 3d printer, folded flat it is small, but opened up it can print big and with two materials. It also has a display for standalone printing. The Mowi printer is still under development so expect the files to change.
current version Mowi v3 has a more sturdy Y-frame, the possibility to fixate the Y-frame to the Z-frame, a Graphic display, a smaller power supply, a wooden extruder , and a Z probe for auto bed leveling.
At the moment there is no build manual yet. I hope there is enough information to get you started on building your own Mowi printer. In the Step Assembly on Github you can see how everything fits together. Let me know when you start building so we can work on the documentation together. You can post any issues on the github. All help in improving the design and/or the documentation is very very welcome. Also the pictures and video are still from the version 1. I will try to update them soon.
- Printing Size: 260mm x 200mm x 195mm
- Folded size: 400mm x 330mm x 86mm
- Printed Parts: 5 essential + 9 optional
- Lasercut parts: 29 essential + 6 optional
- Bought Parts: ???
- Filament Size: 1.75mm
- Electronics: RAMPS 1.4
- Firmware: Marlin
Main Open Issues
- electronics cover needed
I just did a mayor redesign that should have fixed all open issues. I will assemble it in the coming week and hopefully I will not run into any new issues.
Bill of Materials
Printed Parts, essential for printing:
- extruder idler 2pcs
- x carriage
- x idler
- x motor mount
- y belt clamp
Printed Parts, optional:
- hinge left
- hinge right
- nutlocker straight
- nutlocker corner 2 pieces
Lasercut Parts, essential for printing:
- ZSide 2pieces
- extruderstepperholder left
Lasercut Parts, optional:
- hendel 2 pieces
- display Bottom
- display casing
- display casing R
- display wrap
- birch plywood, about 0,6m<math>^2</math> 5.8mm thick,
- birch plywood, 145mm * 105 mm, 3mm thick
- cardboard for electronics cover
Bought Parts (I tried to use mostly (industry) standard parts so most parts can be bought at a lot of suppliers, the links are only an example)
- Electronics: RAMPS 1.4
- Display: RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller
- Heated Bed: PCB Heatbed MK2A
- Powersupply: Compact 12V 20A 240W Switching Power Supply, dimensions 165*100*40mm ebay psu
- Small Steppermotors: 3 pieces NEMA17 / 0.28Nm / 40mm length NEMA17
- Big Steppermotors:3 pieces NEMA17 / 0.4 Nm / 34mm length NEMA17
- Hotends: 2 pieces reprap.cc Hotend 0,35 mm fully assembled for 1,75mm filament
- Extruder Gear: 2 pieces module 0,4 size 11x 11mm Aliexpress Reprap Extrusion head special gear
- Pulleys and belts: GT2 Timing Belt 2pieces GT2-20Teeth, Ybelt < 800mm, XBelt < 700mm.
- Hall Endstops: 2 pieces Hall Endstops, e.g. RepRapDiscount hallendstops or Hall-Θ
- inductive Endstop: Inductive Proximity Sensor,LJ8A3-2-Z/BX ,NPN,3-wire NO 8mm Aliexpress Sensor
- Lineair Bearings: 13 pcs Lm8uu 8x15x24mm, Linear bearing
- Ball Bearings: 4 pcs 624ZZ 4x13x5mm, 2 Pcs 608ZZ 8x22x7mm Ball bearing
- Power Inlet: Farnell IEC c14 plug panel mount
- Switch: Farnell on/off Rocker Switch
- Smooth Rods diameter 8mm, for X axis 2pcs 310mm,For Z axis 2pcs 352mm, for Y axis 2pcs 400mm.
- Threaded rods 2 pcs M5 320mm
- Woodscrews Countersunk Sp 2,5 x 20
- Springs: 6 pcs
- Assorted screws, nuts, bolts and washers, mostly m3
- Glass 3mm 20x 26cm
- Aluminium foil tape
- Kapton Tape or 3M ScotchBlue 2090 Painter's Tape
For aliexpress links, substitute the xx in the link for ss, unfortunately Aliexpress links are blocked on reprap.org due to spam)
the pictures and video are still from the previous version. I will try to update them soon.