The printing files were adjusted for next class' print. Our group received a tutorial from one of the TA's in how to setup the printing settings and programing new specifications.
The "Big Red" printer used had a broken pulley. Our idea for the next class was to print a pulley which had a greater material strength. In order to do that, we configured the printer settings so that the temperature and the diameter of the filament was adjusted.
The printer we were handling had a variety of heating problems. The printer we were using, in this case Beta, did not maintain a fixed heating temperature of 190 Celsius.
The gold printer was broken. The z axis was fixed by our team member Luiz Southier.
The professor hosted a presenter who showed his experiences in additive manufacturing. Several General Design principles were presented in order to make new components. Designs in the FSAE Car Club and NAVAIR were also displayed.
We finally configured Beta so that it could print our first piece. It was a space invader little guy. Now we are currently printing the coin constraint piece. In order to fix Beta we had to level the z-axis so that the filament could rapidly touch the plate, whereas before it was forming bubbles.
Today I presented about 3-D printing in the medical field. Researchers from the University of Sydney and Harvard are developing 3-D printed blood vessels and tissues to be future implemented in patients. In the future, printing organs and printing limbs will be a good area of research for doctors who have ambition in expanding their research. The good thing about printing organs is that there will not be a great need for donors, reducing the risk of human fatality.
Today we leveled Beta and observed its specific dimensions. The Beta printer was significantly not leveled before which caused difficulties during the print.
Today we watched a presentation on GE printed turbine nozzles. They have been investing in this technology which helps automate efficiently the process of turbine nozzle production. More than 50,000 nozzles can be used in a turbine at a time, and this can substantially be a complex production process. We also adjusted the Beta printer for the open X 45 arm to be correctly printed. By that we once more leveled the printer and centered the nozzle in the center of the metal plate.
Today we watched a presentation of a Liberal Arts professor who deal with ceramics and molds. He now builds his own printers and will be on a show. It is very interesting since he comes from an artist background, and he knows a lot about building printers as well as molds. He is a very dedicated guy and it is impressive how his dedication towards 3-D printing is. The parts he makes are very abstract, like resembling sound waves and clouds.
Today I worked on printer Beta. What was going on was that printer Beta could not Home zero in the X, Y, and Z directions when I tried printing on it because underneath the board the thread rod was displaced. The belt was therefore having problems in working since there was this issue with the rod. What I am working now is on inserting a new thread rod which does not have the risk of falling or being displaced. By that I had to find a bigger rod which was then cut using a saw. This rod was not yet inserted into the printer since it is too big and now it is necessary to unscrew a major part of the underneath of the board. In this picture it is shown the cut made on the bigger rod, and the components used to assemble it in the printer.
So today I took the arms apart in order to install the new larger bolt. Everything went fine, it was a good learning experience. At first the arm was upside down and was obviously not fitting in the board. After inspections I corrected the arm. With the help of the wrenches the operation was successful. For this model I did forget to put two extra bolts and washers, but before taking the whole thing apart again to insert them I will test a printing sample next class.
Today we had to take the printer apart to insert the washer and bolt forgotten the last time we took it apart. We tightened the bolts so the belt could move underneath the bed smoothly. Now the printer is ready to be used. Due to the fact that the computers were being used by other groups, the printing test had to be postponed.
Today was the first printing test. What happened was that the belts were too lose and had to be adjusted. Also one of the belts was underpowered and the printer didn't move correctly. We then adjusted the belts, and adjusted the power from the battery. We are going to try the nickel test and see if all goes well correctly. The z-axis needs also to be adjusted.
Today the belts were adjusted, so that a certain part of a bolt did not affect its trajectory. Also, clamps are being printed to secure the structure that holds the pulley and the belt passage from moving in the y direction. In order to print these clamps, we had to use another group's 3-D printer.