This is a log of my experiences in a first printer build. After looking at the various developments I settled on the Prusa i3 as a good starting point because:
- Simple, well tested design with active development
- Good build instructions
- Plenty of support & community knowledge
- The Prusa home page - I considered the timber frame initially and a possible repStrap pathway but as I utilise a lot of aluminium components through work and I need a working printer quickly the single aluminium frame and printed components seemed a better... and ultimately probably cheaper route to take.
- EiNSTeiN variant - This was a good reference page that helped me to start to consider my BOM
- [i3 build instructions] - This was a good introduction to an i3 build and also helped me in part identification.
- BOM and instructions - As the printed parts I purchased were based on this variant this was also a good reference to the build and parts list that I would require.
- Reprap Prusa Mendel I3 Rework - Printed Parts from Lithuania through eBay. Not sure I would use this design again as I have a few concerns that I'll document along the way
- NEMA 17 1.8° Stepper Motor, 2 Phase Bipolar - eBay purchase from USA. New & S/Hand for $4 each. OEM No: 42BYGH3903L-02. I purchased 6 to give me a spare