Techzone Huxley Assembly Log And Tips
That story will follow the process of building an Huxley, with descriptives pictures and possibly a few hints to help anyone who - like me at the moment - is going to build his first reprap with that TechZoneHuxley full kit.
This is still work in progress currently.
- My English is not perfect. Feel free to correct me. I'll make a French version once I've finished that page.
- This is the first time I'm building a reprap. I may do stupid mistakes. Don't blindly follow my instructions, gather information from different sources and keep thinking.
I recommend that you go first through the check list process described in TechZoneHuxley#Unpacking_the_Huxley_Kit. This will help you
- Verify you got everything delivered in the package.
- Start to identify all the parts.
- Spot some potential problems with some parts (more about this in next chapter).
- Feel so good as you handle your first repraped piece of work ever !
I was personally impressed with the quality of the printed parts - it's far more detailed than I thought it would be from the pictures seen around.
I started by building the extruder because I spotted two potentials problems with the parts, and I wanted to make sure I get replacements parts from TechZone as fast as possible if It went show stopper. I've read they are user/customer friendly enough, but I don't want to come back to them too late.
The extruder provided by Techzone seems to be a Wade's_Geared_Extruder with a bigger lasercut wheel and is using a Bowden cable - the machinery which push the plastic filament is detached from the main body of the reprap and a PTFE tube is used to guide the filament into the hot end. See first picture at TZBowdenExtruder.
- The machined bolt have been filed and hobbed at 2 different places instead of one only, with two different deepness. I was unsure it would be usable.
- The big lasercut gear and its little "washer" with an hex shaped hole have been glued with a bad position (not well aligned), which could make the wheel turn weird or even forbid inserting the nut at all.
- I've been able to align the deepest of the two slots - which I believe to be the one that will work best - with the filament path by adding extra washers (had some spares around) between the gear and the repraped support.
- The misaligned bolt head hole was more of a challenge.
Mounted as is, it was really making the gear turn bad, with the gear outer noticeably moving away and back from the support : <videoflash type="youtube">Dl_ipej7m54</videoflash>