The Mowi Printer is a foldable 3d printer, folded flat it is small, but opened up it can print big and with two materials. It also has a display for standalone printing. The Mowi printer is still under development so expect the files to change. I also did some manual changes that are not reflected in the files yet.
At the moment there is no build manual yet. I hope there is enough information to get you started on building your own Mowi printer. In the Step Assembly on Github you can see how everything fits together. Let me know when you start building so we can work on the documentation together. You can post any issues on the github. All help in improving the design and/or the documentation is very very welcome.
- Printing Size: 260mm x 200mm x 195mm
- Folded size: 400mm x 330mm x 86mm
- Printed Parts: 10
- Lasercut parts: 21
- Bought Parts: ???
- Electronics: RAMPS 1.4
- Firmware: Marlin
Main Open Issues
- The printer is not yet stable enough for reliable printing when placed on an uneven surface. (Find a way to fixate Y box to Z Frame for printing)
- The cables get stuck underneath the hinge when unfolding and they get stuck between the x endstop and the x carriage.
- The X-Carriage can only be printed with support and needs a lot of cleaning.
- Dual extruder calibration.
- Easier Assembly needed.
- Less different vitamins.
- Spoolholders that do not need to be removed for folding
Bill of Materials
I tried to use mostly (industry) standard parts so most parts can be bought at a lot of suppliers, the links are only an example.
- Printed Parts
- Lasercut Parts, birch plywood, 2,3 and 6 mm, cardboard
- Electronics: RAMPS 1.4
- Display: RepRapDiscount Smart Controller
- Heated Bed: PCB Heatbed MK2A
- Powersupply: 12V 30A 360W Switching Power Supply, dimensions 199*110*50mm Aliexpress These powersupplies are a little bit smaller than before, maybe you need to move the holes in your lasercut YBottomBack and YBottomMiddle)
- Steppermotors: 3pcs NEMA17 / 0.28Nm / 40mm length,and 3pcs NEMA17 / 0.4 Nm / 34mm length NEMA17
- Hotends: 2 pcs reprap.cc Hotend 0,35 mm fully assembled for 1,75mm filament
- Extruder Gear: module 0,4 size 11x 11mm Aliexpress Reprap Extrusion head special gear
- Pulleys and belts: GT2 Timing Belt 2pcs GT2-20Teeth, Ybelt < 800mm, XBelt < 700mm.
- Endstops: Hall Endstops, e.g. RepRapDiscount hallendstops or Hall-Θ
- Lineair Bearings: 11 pcs Lm8uu 8x15x24mm, Linear bearing
- Ball Bearings: 4 pcs 624ZZ 4x13x5mm, 2 Pcs 608ZZ 8x22x7mm Ball bearing
- Power Inlet: Farnell IEC c14 plug panel mount
- Switch: Farnell on/off Rocker Switch
- USB inlet: Ebay USB B extension panelmount
- Smooth Rods diameter 8mm, for X axis 2pcs 310mm,For Z axis 2pcs 352mm, for Y axis 2pcs 400mm.
- Threaded rods 2 pcs M5 320mm
- Woodscrews Countersunk Sp 2,5 x 20
- Springs: 6 pcs
- Assorted screws, nuts, bolts and washers, mostly m3
- Kapton Tape
- Glass 3mm 20x 26cm
For aliexpress links, substitute the xx in the link for ss, unfortunately Aliexpress links are blocked on reprap.org due to spam)