Firmware build process
RepRap Firmware Build Process
- Check out the latest code from CVS.
- The firmware code is located in reprap/firmware
- Issue a "make" at the top level
- If this is the first build, a local instance of sdcc will be built first. This is to ensure compatibility with sdcc.
- After the build is complete, the output files will be stored in the build subdirectory in a further subdirectory named by the processor the firmware is for. By default this is 16f628.
- The following will be built in separate subdirectories of the processor build directory.
- stepmotor A generic stepper motor controller on address 2. For RepRap this is the X axis.
- stepmotorb A generic stepper motor controller, identical to stepmotor but using address 3. For RepRap, this is the Y axis.
- stepmotorc A generic stepper motor controller, identical to stepmotor but using address 4. For RepRap, this is the Z axis.
- stepmotor-small A generic stepper motor controller that has a smaller memory footprint. Not all features are supported and this is not currently planned for use in RepRap.
- motor A generic DC motor controller using address 5. Not currently planned for use in RepRap.
- extruder A reprap extruder controller that integrates DC motor functionality with PWM temperature control. It uses address 5.
Building for a different processor
To build for a different processor than the default 16f628, use the PROCESSOR environment variable, eg
Building only specific devices
To build only specific devices, use the DEVICES environment variable, eg
Similarly, to build a particular device for a different processor:
DEVICES=stepmotor-small PROCESSOR=16f627 make
Note: Most code uses some processor specific hardware and may not work correctly on any given device
-- Main.SimonMcAuliffe - 07 Jan 2006