Circuit board construction
If you buy the printed circuit boards for Mendel ready-made from MakerBot Industries you will get versions intended for their CupCake machine. These cam be used as they stand, but by making a few small changes to them (pliers and soldering iron are all that are needed) you can make the Mendel wiring a lot neater. Details of PCB adaptions for Mendel are at that link.
If you get kit boards you can build them for Mendel from the start, of course. Here are the instructions for building the boards yourself. One Mendel will need:
- 1 RepRap Motherboard (mendel/electronics/motherboard),
- 1 Mendel USB and power connector (no Eagle design - it's a simple piece of stripboard),
- 3 RepRap Stepper drivers (mendel/electronics/stepper-motor-driver),
- 3 RepRap Opto Endstops (mendel/electronics/opto-endstop), and
- As many RepRap extruder controllers as you have extruders (mendel/electronics/extruder-controller).